10 March 2008

But seriously, I SWEAR I'm a student.....

So it dawned on me today that even though I am "studying" abroad, I have not written a single thing about school. So to prove to you all that I am in indeed enrolled at a university, here is the down low:

My classes:
Managing Science and Technology- This class is boring out of my mind, but it will transfer for my major and therefore I will take it. Summary of class so far:
Lec 1- people don't trust or understand Science
Lec 2- we live in a knowledge based economy. Employees must be flexible and employers must do things to attract employs (this shit blows your mind doesn't it?!)
Lec 3- missed it today due to my $3 alarm clock failing to wake me up. I'm switching to my cell phone.

History of Sexuality- I'm dropping this course. Sounds promising but appears to be pretty dull. I don't want to ruin a cool subject. This class also has the most reading and essays and I'm lazy. It would also force me to have a tutorial on Tuesday (which as of now, I have no class that day). Boo for it.

Introduction to Management- Love this class. The teacher tries a little to hard to be cool but her lectures are great and she's fairly spunky. Love the subject and understand how it actually applicable to me and my future so I'm all about this class. It is the only class I have actually started the reading for- that's how much I like it.

Gender in Everyday Life- basic women's study class. No man bashing so far. Not captivated by it, but it's okay. It also transfers home for something so I cannot complain. I will take the class and do the pathetic assignments (so pathetic they are mildly embarrassing to admit to).

Kapa Haka- This is a Maori class. It should be fun and a decent challenge. It basically has no homework, but we do EVERYTHING in class so my brain is taxed to the max for three hours every Thursday. We have to learn all the songs (they teach you verbally, not reading from something that is written) and then we get to learn the dances. At some point we make our own Poi. The instructor is nice, but likes to go "'aslkgisdangsiadng' now say that back to me." We all mumble something resembling that back to him and he moves on believing we actually understand what just happened. At the end of the class we have a performance which is where our grade comes from and I think our final is writing out the songs. About 70-80% of the class is American and the Maoris in the class pretty much hate our guts. But I don't care. I think they should stop their bitching since you can tell they all took this for an easy A.

University is cute. Everyone here thinks it's REALLY big, but it's a tiny little campus. There are multiple campuses which do make it bigger, but most of everyone is just stuck on the city campus. They have these LOVELY underpasses that you can take to cross the street on campus. Which is SUPER so I don't get hit by a car. Campus is about a 15-20 minute walk from my dorm. It's okay now, but when it rains I will be unhappy. They do not have enough computer labs. They do have computer labs for the different faculties (majors), but I am unsure if I can go into them if I'm not in their faculty. I will research this. I have not been to the library yet. I should see if they still have tours going on. The gym is okay. It's tiny compared to Davis, but you have to pay to get into it so it's also less busy. It's been pretty decent to me so far and my schedule allows plenty of gym time so I can't complain. They also use this TERRIBLE system called Cecil which is where all my professors post things. It's not connected to my e-mail (like my Davis one is) and it usually shuts down on me at least once a day. This thing is the devil.

The dorm is awesome. The food continues to suck as all DC food does, but it's free (to me, not my dad) so I am satisfied with it. The meals are very structured in terms of time, but we have all learned to cope with that. It is kind of nice sometimes because EVERYONE in the hall goes to dinner at once so you see people you wouldn't normally.

The mating spree is at a standstill- mostly because it isn't the weekend anymore and apparently some girl on the 8th floor has captivated all the boys. I don't know why, she's just not that great. But they all love her. Anyways, I'm sure it will pick up again on Wednesday I think when we all go to Margaritas for cheap drinks. I love this part!

That is all for now! Tomorrow I will study and such and probably sleep in. Yay for Tuesdays...!

No comments: